Call: “Journalist in Residence“ program at Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA)Science Journalist in ResidenceThree months residencyAmount of stipend (work contract): 15,000 EUR The Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA) offers a residency program for science journalists.The program aims to promote high-quality science journalism, to enable exchange between journalistsand researchers, and to explore new ways to make research findings more broadly accessible to thepublic. Over three months, from April 1st to June 30th 2024, you will accompany two research......
Science Journalist in Residence
Three months residency
Amount of stipend (work contract): 15,000 EUR
The Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA) offers a residency program for science journalists.
The program aims to promote high-quality science journalism, to enable exchange between journalists
and researchers, and to explore new ways to make research findings more broadly accessible to the
Over three months, from April 1st to June 30th 2024, you will accompany two research groups – selected
by you – at ISTA. You will have the chance to get to know the Institute’s outstanding researchers and
their work. For this, you will work closely with the Institute’s Communications team. You will be able to
participate in all Institute events and gain insight into cutting-edge interdisciplinary research, while
pursuing your own independent science journalism projects that may not directly relate to the Institute’s
You actively interact with ISTA researchers and introduce yourself to the Institute at an internal
presentation at the beginning of your stay. Furthermore, you will hold at least one workshop per month
during your stay on topics related to science journalism and/or science communication. The residency will
conclude in an event where you will share you experiences in a panel discussion and get the chance to
present your work (e.g., in the form of a reading). ISTA will take care of the organizing of location, opening, etc. Work resulting from the residency, must be accompanied by a reference to the residency program.
Other activities may include:
- Meeting and interviewing researchers and the Institute’s science communicators
- Exploration of research laboratories and scientific service facilities
- Participation in guest lectures at relevant courses
- Participation in public events with scientists
The ISTA Journalist Residency will take place at the same time as the ISTA Artist Residency and some
programming will happen co-joined to encourage exchanges between journalists and artists.
- Science journalist with several years of experience
- Capable of setting up and managing your own projects independently
- Creative and interested in finding new and fascinating stories about science
- Well-connected in the international science journalism and science media scene
- English language skills at a professional level (the language of the Institute is English)
How to apply
Please send the following application documents to [email protected]:
- Letter of motivation & CV
- Selection of up to five previous publications in English or German
- A proposal of planned activities during your stay. Include 2-3 specific research groups that you
would like to closely interact with and topics you are especially interested in.
The submission phase ends on Tuesday, October 31, 2023 at midnight, CET.
For information on ISTA’s lawful processing of your personal data, please visit www.ista.ac.at/en/dataprotection/