Capital B is hiring a Gary Health and Environment ReporterJob Description Capital B is a first-of-its-kind local and national nonprofit news organization serving Black communities across the country. We are looking for a community-driven reporter to cover health and environmental justice issues that affect Black people in and around Gary, Indiana. This reporter will help establish Capital B's presence in Gary, anchoring our second local newsroom. (The first launched in Atlanta in January 2022.) This is an ideal role for a service-minded journali......
Capital B is a first-of-its-kind local and national nonprofit news organization serving Black communities across the country. We are looking for a community-driven reporter to cover health and environmental justice issues that affect Black people in and around Gary, Indiana. This reporter will help establish Capital B’s presence in Gary, anchoring our second local newsroom. (The first launched in Atlanta in January 2022.)
This is an ideal role for a service-minded journalist who enjoys on-the-ground reporting and telling impactful stories that seek accountability and impact. This reporter should be passionate about connecting with their audience, breaking down how new local policies, decisions, and trends affect Black residents and publishing civic journalism that helps them lead better lives.
This reporter should also be deeply curious about and animated by issues of public health and environmental justice, and the varied ways Black people in Northwest Indiana are affected by past and present policies, scientific advancements and opportunities, and current trends.
We’re looking for a reporter who finds stories by walking the streets of their community and building relationships with the people who live and work there. We expect this reporter to monitor the powerful institutions, government agencies, companies and influencers relevant to the beat. But your neighbors’ curiosity and information needs will power most of your reporting not press releases, officials, or insiders.
This is a grant-funded position, and includes training and mentorship in science journalism for local audiences.
This position reports to the Gary editor.
Location: Gary, Indiana
- Publish news, explanatory service pieces and enterprise stories about health and environment in Gary for an audience of local Black residents.
- Build and implement a beat reporting plan aligned with Capital B’s mission.
- Work with the Gary editor and the community engagement editor to shape coverage based on your news judgment, beat expertise and community information needs.
- Moderate Capital B Gary live journalism events related to your beat.
- Contribute to community engagement and audience development initiatives supporting the Gary newsroom and broader Capital B brand.
- Launch a weekly newsletter on local health and environmental concerns to help build audience and brand recognition.
- Partner with national reporters and editors and with outside journalists on occasional co-publishing partnerships.
- Attend a science-reporting workshop.
- Pitch or take on occasional assignments outside of your beat as needed by
What you’ll bring:
- Expertise on environmental and health issues or a demonstrated passion to learn about them.
- 3+ years reporting experience
- Great story ideas
- Deep familiarity with and insight into the Black communities of Northwest Indiana
- An extreme audience focus Capital B’s work is not for industry peers or awards committees, although it’s a plus if they like it!
- Clear, concise writing. We’re looking for readable and accessible stories.
- Experience and familiarity with watchdog and accountability reporting techniques.
- Empathy, kindness, patience
What we’ll bring:
- A compassionate, supportive workplace
- Unlimited PTO + company holidays
- 20 weeks parental leave
- 12 weeks caregiver leave
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Health and dependent care flex plans
- Short-term disability
- Professional development fund
- Monthly phone and internet stipend
- Stipend for home office setup
Please submit your resume and a brief cover note with some info about why you’re a good pick for this role by July 14. Capital B is open to candidates with a diversity of experience, and we know that some very strong candidates won’t have all of the qualifications we list. Don’t be shy apply!