Hiring An Editorial & Training ManagerDescription A key role in EurekAlert! and AAAS’s mission to advance science communication internationally, the EurekAlert! Editorial & Training Manager proposes, implements, and evaluates programs that promote and facilitate communication between PIO- and journalist-members, and among science-interested publics. This position is a senior and integral member of the EurekAlert! editorial team, and has the specific responsibility of incorporating professional devel......
A key role in EurekAlert! and AAAS’s mission to advance science communication internationally, the EurekAlert! Editorial & Training Manager proposes, implements, and evaluates programs that promote and facilitate communication between PIO- and journalist-members, and among science-interested publics. This position is a senior and integral member of the EurekAlert! editorial team, and has the specific responsibility of incorporating professional development opportunities into our marketing and member engagement efforts, especially in under-served regions and new markets, including the Global South.
Are You Ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Oversee all content and content strategy development from targeted regions
- Lead professional development activities, including science communication trainings and webinars about the platform to better engage PIO- and journalist-members; develop training materials for external customers and train staff in presenting training and engagement information
- Work individually and/or in collaboration with appropriate team members to onboard prospective members to either subscribe or fully utilize platform services
- Be fully trained on, and contribute as needed to, editorial functions such as managing embargo violations, processing content submissions, responding to webmaster inquiries, and evaluating PIO and journalist applications
- Carry out special projects as needed
- A bachelor or higher degree in media relations, journalism, communications, or related field(s)
- Minimum 5 (five) years job experience in media relations; must include media training, other presentation, training, or public speaking experience
- Familiarity with newsroom and/or publishing and/or editorial operations, the news embargo system, and science communication best practices
- Demonstrated skills and/or experience in constituent engagement and marketing
- Adeptness at strategic planning and communication via email and phone with clients/stakeholders; diplomacy; relationship management and engagement
- Detail orientation, especially in writing, editing, and proofreading
- Experience in project management and administration; ability to manage multiple stakeholders and develop business opportunities
- Computer and web skills; familiarity with Microsoft Office, Zoom, etc.
- Ability to organize, develop, and deliver training materials and presentations effectively
- Critical thinking; time management; strategic planning; creativity; ability to leverage knowledge from other units/departments
- Familiarity with data analytics, e.g. Adobe Analytics, Power BI, etc. a plus
- Fluency in a second language a plus, Spanish preferred
- Understanding of diversity, equity & inclusion (DEI) and the Global South a plus
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by May 20, 2023. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A member of Human Resources will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
DC Metro Area is strongly preferred but open to remote workers in select states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where AAAS has a business presence, you may not be eligible for this position. Please contact our Talent Team at [email protected] with any questions regarding your eligibility.
The anticipated initial rate of compensation for this position is between $72,000 and $80,000 per year. AAAS currently provides the following benefits for this position: paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, flexible spending account, dental insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, retirement benefits, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance, each subject to the terms of the applicable program. Additional benefits may apply.
Any actual offer of employment, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be made in the sole discretion of AAAS and will be based on a variety of factors, including years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant factors. AAAS reserves the right to amend or modify its employment benefits and compensation structure at any time.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Bachelors or better.
5 years: Media relations, journalism, communications, or related field(s)